|Ms Pelosi in conference today with Jordan’s king
and his son the Crown Prince [Image Source]
The official media mouthpiece of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan reports this evening on US politicians visiting, and paying generous homage to, King Abdullah II. At this hour, there is no other media source for this.
Jordan harbors Ahlam Tamimi, the confessed Jordanian bomber of the Sbarro pizzeria in Jerusalem whose indictment by the US Department of Justice was unveiled more than two and a half years ago [“14-Mar-19: Two years after Federal charges are unsealed, Ahlam Tamimi remains free. How is this happening?“]
Amman, Oct.19 (Petra)– His Majesty King Abdullah, accompanied by His Royal Highness Crown Prince Al Hussein bin Abdullah II, met on Saturday with a delegation from the US Congress, headed by US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
The meeting, held as part of ongoing outreach with the US Congress’ Senate and House of Representatives, covered the cooperation and strategic partnership between Jordan and the United States, as well as regional developments.
Speaking at the meeting, attended by His Royal Highness Prince Feisal bin Al Hussein, King Abdullah expressed appreciation for the United States’ continuing support for Jordan in a number of fields, commending the US Congress’ position towards the Kingdom.
Discussing regional issues, foremost of which is the Palestinian cause, His Majesty stressed the need to reach just, lasting and comprehensive peace on the basis of the two-state solution, which guarantees the establishment of an independent Palestinian state on the 4 June 1967 lines with East Jerusalem as its capital.
Turning to the Syrian crisis, the King urged a political solution that safeguards Syria’s territorial integrity and the unity of its people, while guaranteeing the safe and voluntary return of refugees.
The meeting also covered regional and international efforts to counter terrorism within a comprehensive approach.
For their part, the US lawmakers commended Jordan’s efforts, led by His Majesty, in pursuit of peace and stability in the region, praising the King’s wisdom.
They expressed keenness to hear the King’s perspective on regional and global developments, adding that they are pleased to be present in Jordan as the Kingdom marks 20 years since His Majesty assumed his constitutional powers.
Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi, Adviser to His Majesty for Communication and Coordination Bisher Khasawneh, and Adviser to His Majesty for Policies and Media Kemal Al Nasser attended the meeting.
|Ahlam Tamimi’s FBI Most Wanted poster [Image Source]|
Who else, other than Ms Pelosi, took part in the delegation? No names appear in the Jordanian report. We’re trying to find out.
This latest visit comes on the heels of another Congressional delegation visit eleven days ago [“08-Oct-19: Again: Jordan’s inscrutable US relationship“] In addition, Ms Pelosi has had several other meetings with the Jordanian king this year including in March [here] and in April [here]. Plenty of opportunity to express concern about justice thwarted, no?
We’re going to make efforts to see what Speaker Pelosi said to Jordan’s absolute ruler today about why he demeans the extradition treaty his father King Hussein signed with the Clinton administration in 1995. But fair warning: our track record in getting members of Congress to respond to questions like this is not very good.
Meanwhile we’re wondering:
- Do Congressional delegations to Jordan get briefed by the State Department before they take off?
- Do the State Department or the Justice Department inform Amman-bound Cogressional visitors about the years-long pursuit of Tamimi, a jihadist in the service of Hamas who is astoundingly a free-as-a-bird celebrity living openly, not in hiding, in Jordan’s capital, and the presenter for five years (starting February 2012) of a pro-terrorism TV show broadcast from Amman throughout the world?
- Does Ms Pelosi know who Malki Roth was, and what was done to her when she wa 15 years old?
- Does she know who Ahlam Tamimi is, what she stands for and where she lives? And why the FBI has her on its Most Wanted Terrorists list?
- Assuming she does not, will Attorney-General Barr and Ambassador Nathan Sales (the State Department’s Counterterrorism Coordinator) please brief her now? And ensure future Congressional visitors to Jordan get the same briefing before they leave Washington?
And this. Why are you learning about the Congressional visit from the blog of a pair of bereaved parents seeking justice for the on-the-run killer of their child, and not from the mainstream news?